Shamwari Explorer Camp offers a unique walking safari in the diverse Shamwari Reserve for a traditional and authentic African safari experience. The camp is located on a plateau set amongst the only basalt and granite extrusions on Shamwari. A truly magical setting awaits!!
The Shamwari Explorer Camp tour is a flexible experience as we believe in simplifying the usual rigid itinerary by going back to basics. his explorer camp reflects the original safari of being on foot and sleeping around the fire at night within the comfort of a bush tent.
You will enjoy a guided safari as your guide helps with birding, cultural history and other natural history of the area, along with ample opportunity of some Big 5 encounters.
- The Explorer Camp operates every Friday and Saturday night throughout the year. Sunday night can be added onto the two night stay at the standard rates
- Each trail is 2 nights with a set departure each Friday of the week (Sunday night can be added as an optional 3rd night on request)
- The walking trails are hosted and guided by an armed qualified walking guide
- Distances walked vary each day but can last up to 4 hours
- A game viewing vehicle remains in camp and depending on where guests walk that day, the trail may start from camp or depart camp by vehicle to visit another area of the reserve
- We regret that no persons younger than 16 years or older than 60 years will be able to participate. However, if a medical certificate can be provided via the client or the booking agent, exceptions to this will be allowed.